- NBC’s Chuck Todd, on MSNBC’s Morning Joe explained the coded messages from inside the White House late Sunday night to key reporters. “I got a three-letter emphasis on getting down here from a White House official who said, ‘I can’t say. It’s a B.F.D.’” Todd said the officials sent clear, but unspecific messages, especially to the television networks, that this was big enough everyone would need to be in place and on camera, and that the broadcast networks would definitely want to break into programming, writes mediate.com.
Despite the fact that total ad spending slipped 2.6% in 2008, cinema advertising remained a growth medium, with revenue up 5.8% compared to the prior year, to $571 million.
A new campaign for the U.S. Army breaks today on network television, complete with a new theme: Army Strong. The effort is intended to boost recruitment for the military's forces at a critical time in the war in Iraq, according to Lt. Gen. Robert L. Van Antwerp, commander of U.S. Army Accessions Command.
U.S. companies have the opportunity to reach the primarily young, male audience of the nation's armed forces by sponsoring events and recreational activities for military personnel, their families and those retired from the military, Media Life writes.
Current Newsweek business editor and former New York Times reporter Adam Bryant is returning to the Times in May to serve as the newspaper's business section editor and oversee auto, airline and defense industry coverage, writes the SABEW blog.
The U.S. Army has awarded its advertising account to Interpublic Group's McCann Erickson, deciding against incumbent Publicis Leo Burnett, AdAge reports. The two-year contract, that can be renewed for three subsequent one-year periods, or up to five years total, could be worth up to $1.35 billion over five years, making it the governments largest ad account. Agencies involved include creative agency McCann, media agency Universal McCann, MRM for digital and interactive, Momentum for event marketing, and public relations agency Weber Shandwick.
reports. The database, launched in 2002, when Congress combined some individual military service recruiting functions, is apparently meant for marketing purposes for recruiting, but the letter warns that it could lead to broader government tracking of personal information.
reports. This extension of the contract, which would have expired in December (following a number of previous extensions), will not affect the current review.
reports. U.S. District Court Judge Keith Ellison issued a temporary restraining order Friday against a "zero access" policy that Army Lt. Gen. Russel Honore, who is overseeing the relief effort, and Terry Ebbert, the city's homeland security director, had announced earlier in the day. Ebbert said that it "wasn't proper" to let members of the media view the bodies. CNN filed suit against Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown, saying that the officials who announced the decision were acting on FEMA's behalf.
extension of the ad account that anticipated a boost in annual ad spending from $200 million to $250 million, the client has reissued its request for proposals, reports AdAge. The new contract will, for the first time, be a two-year award, with up to three one-year renewals, and the proposal says it will start September 30.